Insect Sting Allergies – Bug Bite Allergies
When you are stung by an insect such as a bee, wasp, hornet, yellow jacket, or even some ants, these insects inject venom into your body.
For most people, an insect sting only causes redness, swelling and itching. However, for patients with allergies to these insects, insect venom can cause severe life-threatening reactions. An allergic reaction to an insect sting can involve your whole body and can start very rapidly after you are stung. Possible symptoms include dizziness, nausea, weakness, stomach cramps, diarrhea, hives, itching, or wheezing. A more severe reaction can cause shortness of breath , a drop in your blood pressure, loss of consciousness and can even death if emergency medical treatment is not obtained immediately. People who have ever had a serious reaction to a stinging insect should be seen by an allergy specialist.
Your allergist will work with you on how to avoid being stung in the first place and will provide you with an emergency adrenaline injector which can save your life in the event of a life-threatening allergic reaction. People who have had an allergic reaction to a bee sting can also be desensitized to the venom with allergy shots. Allergy shots for these stinging insects are incredibly successful in the treatment of insect sting allergies and can be life saving in patients with severe allergic sensitivities.
If you or someone you know has ever had a life threatening reaction to a stinging insect, they should be seen by an allergist as soon as possible.